The FT has an uncompromising mission: delivering independent, quality information, news and services to individuals and companies around the globe. It’s the cornerstone of our reputation and the heart of our ambitions for the future. But for our people, the FT offers so much more than what we do. FT people come from all kinds of backgrounds and work across a huge range of disciplines and locations, and find an empowering, warm and welcoming culture that values curiosity and rewards smart, ambitious thinking. Those who are willing to unite around our mission and live our values will find plenty to challenge, inspire and interest them. Like the audiences we serve, no two FT people are the same; but together we help our audience be better informed and understand the world around them. It’s a job that’s never mattered more, and a career that can take you anywhere you want to go.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
FT Live overview:
Financial Times Live (FT Live) is the conferences and events division of the Financial Times newspaper and its group publications. Our mission is to bring our global executive audiences the very latest in knowledge and opinion, and connect them to one another.
Chaired by senior FT journalists, the 200-plus core events, strategic forums and digital webinars organised by FT Live every year gather pre-eminent public and private sector decision-makers, visionaries and strategists from the world’s most important economies and industries for agenda-setting debates that cover the key issues of our time.
From unique experiences such as the FTWeekend Festival to our senior-level business summits such as the award winning Global Boardroom, FT Live has become one of the FT Group’s most successful and fastest-growing divisions, and is at the forefront of the FT’s accelerated development as an essential, interactive information source across numerous platforms.
The Motion Graphics Designer will join a team of six graphic designers. The main job function is the hands-on production of moving image used in the marketing and running of FT Live’s events. The Motion Graphics Designer will join our lively, enthusiastic and highly-skilled team and will work with us to ensure that FT Live is successful in maintaining and further developing a strong, sustainable events business across both digital and in-person events.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Storyboarding and production of video assets to be used in marketing communications in the run-up to our events, and to be shown at the events themselves on the day. Assets will include:
- On-the-day: Event stings and intro sequences, animated backdrops for projection and LED screens, animated signage for LED screens, lower thirds
- Marketing / communications: Social media videos, digital advertisements, website animations and videos, animated GIFs for HTML emails, promo and post-event wrap-ups, sales videos
- Delegating tasks to Junior Designers, where they can help with the preparation of assets to be used in video, or where they can help produce the video
- Investigating new systems and platforms which will improve our existing motion graphics design output and processes
- Deliver high-quality work on time, to strict deadlines and within brand guidelines
- Alongside Head of Design and Senior Designer, working with:
- At-event photographers and videographers to ensure that they produce assets at the right quality to be used in video later
- At-event production teams to ensure our video assets are correctly displayed on the day, and make best use of the technology available
- External suppliers of motion video services, outsourcing work as appropriate
- Manage competing priorities across different projects, understand departmental goals and priorities, and delegate tasks accordingly
- Accept, respond to and action feedback from stakeholders on video work
- Assist the Head of Design and Senior Designer with the development, rollout and communication of design processes, platforms and systems
- During busy periods, assisting the graphic designers with their workflow by taking on some static design.
Key Skills & Experience
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate that they have the following:
- A recognised design qualification
(motion design qualification would be an advantage)
- A minimum of two years of previous motion design experience in an organisation of similar standing to the FT
- A portfolio of exceptional motion design work from commercial projects
- An enthusiasm for typography and graphic design
- Strong skills in Adobe Creative Cloud packages such as After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator
- A confident communication style, comfortable presenting ideas to peers and design decisions to stakeholders
- Ability to work in the Mac OSX operating system, in the Google Workspace and the Adobe Creative Cloud suite
- A desire to develop new skills (technical, design and soft skills), and an ability to adjust to using new technologies and platforms rapidly
Desirable skills and experience
Knowledge of the following would be advantageous though full training will be provided:
- Figma or other similar package
- Asana or other similar project management software
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will be happy to help.