Here at the FT, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product and Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion
We’re an equal opportunity employer and prize diversity and inclusion as a strength. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees have a voice and feel they can be themselves at work. We continually remove barriers for all groups, especially underrepresented groups. We offer flexible working, and are open to part-time and job sharing too.
Product in the FT
Our purpose is to create continued innovation in the FT’s products and services. In a time of declining trust in news organisations we pride ourselves on the crucial role we play in showcasing the world leading business news produced by the FT’s journalists, recognised internationally for its authority, integrity and accuracy..
We have an exciting new role for a Group Product Manager leading the product team supporting our crucial events business, FT Live https://live.ft.com/. This is a key leadership role with significant influence on the overall strategic direction and outcomes of FT Live. Over the next 18 months we want to explore growth opportunities such as helping event attendees make meaningful connections, using the assets from our events in new ways and how we make hybrid events truly excellent, befitting our exceptional journalism the events are built from..
What is a group product manager at the FT?
It is a crucial product leadership role with 3 main components:
- Responsibility for the overall strategic direction in your objective area(s), whilst helping to shape the overall product strategy for FT Live
- Leadership of the product teams within those areas and line management of their product managers (typically 1 to 3 PMs), providing coaching, support and capability building within the product community
- Working with delivery, design and technical colleagues to help run the FT events group, removing blockers, maximising the potential of our teams and engaging with stakeholders to improve how we work and deliver
What is the FT Live Events Business?
Our FT Live business takes the best of FT journalism and brings this together with industry leaders to deliver premium events across multiple platforms around the world. We have substantial and exciting growth targets over the coming 5 years, with our excellent content proposition at the heart of a growing hybrid events organisation. There is much to do in exploring new growth opportunities, making the customer journey excellent and truly understanding the B2B customer base and what opportunities this may present alongside our B2B subscriptions business.
What are we looking for?
You will need to be an experienced Product Manager with a proven track record of leadership in a complex environment. A strong commercial aptitude is useful alongside a deep understanding of customer-centred design and data driven decision making.
Some specific things we will look for:
- A track record of building, iterating and growing successful products at scale
- Leadership and coaching of product managers (or other product roles such as business analysis) across more than one team or topic area, helping them to become better product people
- Real world commercial acumen, ideally developed working closely alongside sales and marketing teams
- Real experience in balancing the needs of internal and external customers
- Comfortable ensuring the security, stability and operability of a large complex product is consistently prioritised and improved
- Developed and proven influencing and negotiation skills with a strong ability to work collaboratively across the organisation at senior levels
- Experience creating a vision and goals for a portfolio of outcomes and bringing people with you to deliver on it
- A curious mind that keeps you learning about our customers and what they need, ensuring this is at the centre of how we measure outcomes and value
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.