The FT has an uncompromising mission: delivering independent, quality information, news and services to individuals and companies around the globe. It’s the cornerstone of our reputation and the heart of our ambitions for the future. But for our people, the FT offers so much more than what we do. FT people come from all kinds of backgrounds and work across a huge range of disciplines and locations, and find an empowering, warm and welcoming culture that values curiosity and rewards smart, ambitious thinking. Those who are willing to unite around our mission and live our values will find plenty to challenge, inspire and interest them. Like the audiences we serve, no two FT people are the same; but together we help our audience be better informed and understand the world around them. It’s a job that’s never mattered more, and a career that can take you anywhere you want to go.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The Role / Position Overview
Sustainable Views, the FT’s specialist ESG policy and regulation news service, is looking for a deputy editor to support the editor in growing the publication.
Previous experience of writing for a professional audience and knowledge of ESG themes would be a clear advantage as would experience of commissioning and editing copy for a sophisticated professional audience.
- Turn sometimes technical subjects into accessible and engaging copy which helps finance and other industry professionals to understand the evolving ESG space
- Produce news and analysis informing readers about policy and regulation changes and trends in the sector.
- Be able to nurture contacts within the ESG space and have the authority to represent the title at the highest levels.
- Commission stories from colleagues and freelancers and work collaboratively with them to produce excellent copy for our readers
- Deputise for the editor on a day to day basis when required, helping to run the website and the team while the editor is away
- Help to manage and mentor other writers who contribute to the title
- Contribute a range of articles on a daily, weekly and longer term basis including, but not limited to, news, analysis, investigations and features.
- Manage the Sustainable Views newsletter as and when required
- Ensure that the content remains fresh, insightful, accurate and relevant and that it caters for the sophisticated demands of our audience
- Work closely with the editor on editorial planning and the ongoing development of the Sustainable Views website and other associated channels including events and podcasts
- Work with the editor and product development team on the continued enhancement of Sustainable Views and product extensions such as the Policy Tracker.
- Use social media to engage readers.
Required Skills / Experience
- Editing experience
- A deep understanding of the world of finance and how ESG fits into it
- The analytical skills and experience required to find, source and write news stories and longer analysis pieces in an engaging manner
- Experience of working in a digital first publishing environment
- The ability to speak authoritatively on finance and ESG both at public events and on podcast/video channels
- Experience of commissioning copy and working with contributors to produce engaging content
- The ability to step up and lead when the editor is away.
- Experience of using data to tell stories in an engaging way
- Experience of using analytics data to inform editorial decision making
- Experience of working with cross functional teams towards shared goals
- The ability to commit to a new product style environment where tasks are shared and time management and prioritisation are essential.
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We have implemented a hybrid working model and we also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will be happy to help.