Jumia is the leading pan-Africa e-commerce platform. Founded in 2012, Jumia’s mission is to improve the quality of everyday life in Africa by leveraging technology to deliver innovative, convenient and affordable online services to consumers, while helping businesses grow as they use our platform to reach and serve consumers.
Our platforms consist of our marketplace, which connects sellers with consumers, our logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers, and our payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active on our platform in selected markets. Through our online platforms, consumers can access a wide range of physical and digital goods and services, fashion, electronics, beauty products and also hotel and flight bookings or restaurant delivery.
With over 5,000 employees in more than 10 countries in Africa, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating sustainable impact for Africa. Jumia offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs, new skills, and empowering a new generation.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Report to the cross-country Head of Internal Control;
- Develop a thorough and continuous understanding of the business, risks and processes across entities, departments and systems;
- Perform all the defined Internal Control routine activities properly and on time and with minimal supervision;
- Perform other Internal Control projects in the country and engage local stakeholders to take required actions for process implementation or issue mitigation, where applicable;
- Perform other projects that may be requested by the local management (e.g. CEO/COO/CFO, etc.);
- Lead in the country the development and implementation of policies and procedures relating to internal controls;
- Be a key influencer of operational efficiency, process control and compliance best practices across the company. The country stakeholders should see you as the main point of contact for these matters;
- Collaborate with the first line of assurance (management team) in assessing the adequacy of actions taken by management to correct reported control deficiencies, and continuously review controls considered inadequate until satisfactory resolution;
- Conduct risk assessment of all departments.
- Reports risk management issues and internal controls deficiencies and provides recommendations for improving the organization’s operations;
- Evaluate compliance with existing policies and procedures, identifying and proposing modifications as needed;
- Identify areas of strengths and weaknesses and engage in continuous education and staff development re best practices;
- Review the responses to internal and external audit management letter queries to ensure that recommendations are implemented and ensure that all action items are resolved;
- Evaluate information security and associated risk exposures;
- Provides support to the company's anti-fraud programs
QUALIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Economics, Management, Accounting, Engineering or related fields;
- At least 3 years work experience in accounting, finance, auditing, internal control or business management in a rapidly growing business;
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suit, specially in Microsoft Excel;
- Analytical and thorough in running investigations and delivering quality analysis & reports, nailing all the details that are relevant to understand the processes and the root cause of the issues being investigated;
- Experience in preparing reports and presentation to management;
- Leadership spirit and proactivity to take the ownership of several projects/topics, to define new processes and implement mitigation plans when needed, with minimal intervention from the manager, and to engage different kinds of stakeholders;
- Great ability getting comfortable using new IT systems, good understanding of how the different IT systems interact between each other within a company, how they impact the business operations and how they can help implementing process controls;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Detail oriented and ability to work and interpret figures and other financial information;
- Capable of working under pressure in a fast-paced environment;
- A 'can-do' attitude and resilient character with the ability to manage expectations;
- The flexibility and independence to work in a changing environment;
- Ability to work independently.
Good to have:
- Experience in defining and documenting internal policies and procedures;
- Previous experience in an external/internal audit and/or IT role;
- SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley Act) compliance;
- Fraud and abuse detection;
- Experience on reconciliation analysis;
- Excellent commercial and financial awareness.
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- A unique opportunity of having strong impact in building the African ecommerce sector
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders