Jumia is the leading pan-Africa e-commerce platform. Founded in 2012, Jumia’s mission is to improve the quality of everyday life in Africa by leveraging technology to deliver innovative, convenient and affordable online services to consumers, while helping businesses grow as they use our platform to reach and serve consumers.
Our platforms consist of our marketplace, which connects sellers with consumers, our logistics service, which enables the shipment and delivery of packages from sellers to consumers, and our payment service, which facilitates transactions among participants active on our platform in selected markets. Through our online platforms, consumers can access a wide range of physical and digital goods and services, fashion, electronics, beauty products and also hotel and flight bookings or restaurant delivery.
With over 5,000 employees in more than 10 countries in Africa, Jumia is led by top talented leaders offering a great mix of local and international talents and is backed by very high-profile shareholders. Jumia is committed to creating sustainable impact for Africa. Jumia offers unique opportunities in a vibrant and booming environment, creating new jobs, new skills, and empowering a new generation.
Jumia in Porto
At Jumia Porto Tech Center we boast over 16 different nationalities. We have around 350 employees from several business areas, from IT, to Finance, to HR. The IT team represents 75% of it, so as you can see we are a major tech company, and as a Tech company, we share an innovative spirit. At Jumia PTC you will work under the most updated technologies and work methodologies. We are great fans of Agile philosophy and we aim to keep things simple but smart. Also, for Jumia, technology relates with improvement for our world. We see technology as something we need to put purpose into. Our mission is to leverage technology to improve everyday life in Africa and we do it by delivering convenient and affordable online services to consumers, helping them fulfill basic everyday needs. And while we’re present in Africa, we get to take African economy online, helping small and large businesses grow and reach new consumers. This is what drives our day to day decisions. :)
We are looking for great people to join our amazing teams and celebrate our achievements. At Jumia we work hard, but we do Tech With Purpose!
Are you eager to work in a great team and share knowledge? Do you like problem analysis and solving? Do you have a solution oriented and proactive attitude? Jumia Porto Tech Center is for you!
What you will be doing
- Work closely with a multidisciplinary team (Developers, DevOps, QA engineers, Product Owners) oriented to continuous delivery
- Work across the entire product life cycle: concept, design, development, deployment, testing, release, support
- Write module, well-organized code.
- Construct and verify (unit test) software components to meet design specifications
- Take ownership for your code to be qualitatively high and you will support your colleagues in code reviews.
- Integration of user-facing elements developed by front-end developers
- Build efficient, testable, and reusable modules
- Rapidly fix bugs and solve problems
What we are looking for
- At least 3 years of previous working experience in web development;
- Previous working knowledge with Golang, PHP, JAVA, or Python ;
- Willing to learn more about Golang;
- Understanding fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- User authentication and authorisation between multiple systems, servers, and environments
- Creating database sachems that represent and support business processes
- Excellent communication skills and being able to work independently or in a full team
- Proficient with MySQL;
- Experienced with web serverside and clientside technologies;
- Working knowledge of Symfony framework or similar;
- Experienced with Version Control technologies (GIT);
- Aware of Performance and Security topics on web development
- Preferably previous commercial experience in Web Application development and / or software development;
- Some knowledge of the Linux command line;
- Enthusiasm and an interest in all things technology;
- Solution oriented and proactive attitude;
- Likes problem analysis and solving;
- Eager to work in team environment and share knowhow - Easily adapts to new situations and changes;
- Has a keen attention to detail and is organised
- Higher education in IT, Software development;
- Experience of the full software development life cycle: from requirements gathering and functional specification, to development, testing and delivery
- Proficiency in English, both written and verbal
- A unique experience in an entrepreneurial, yet structured environment
- A unique opportunity of having strong impact in building the African ecommerce sector
- The opportunity to become part of a highly professional and dynamic team
- An unparalleled personal and professional growth as our longer-term objective is to train the next generation of leaders